Does sitting on your roof and waiting for a chopper or boat really not appeal to you? If you get ample warning of your area being flooded due to a hurricane or other disaster, your best bet may be to get out of Dodge (or Tallahassee) and get out fast! You might not have much time to pack on getting a warning, so it may be a good idea to have a bug-out bag ready. This is a backpack or duffle bag packed with everything you need to go when it’s time to go.
The Essentials of a Flood Survival Kit
The first thing you’ll need, of course, is a bag. It should be lightweight yet sturdy with many pockets and compartments. Water-resistant is a must. In best best-case scenario, you’ll be able to go to another property or a friend or family member’s home to wait it out or at least rent a hotel or motel room. Medium case scenario, you go to a temporary shelter where supplies are limited. Worst case scenario, you’re sleeping in your car, if you have one. While you will be traveling light, here are some things you will need.
- Documentation. Keep a copy of your driver’s license, passport, deeds, insurance policies, and other important papers in a sealed plastic bag. Keep a list of important phone numbers here in case you lose your phone or it runs out of juice.
- First Aid Kit. It should have swabs, dressings, bandages, iodine, and antibacterial ointments. Tweezers, scissors, and insect repellant are also handy. Include aspirin, hand sanitizer, cold medicine, and any prescription medication you need. If you wear glasses, carry a spare.
- Food and Water. People can go without water for three days, but you don’t want to. It may be awkward to carry gallons of water, but bring some in a puncture-proof bottle. Bring some water purification tablets and enough food for three days that won’t spoil.
- Clothes Bring lots of socks, preferably woolen ones. Bring enough clothes and underwear for three days. A blanket or sleeping bag would be a good idea.
- Hygiene items. This is a toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, toilet paper, and feminine hygiene products if you need them.
Looking for Insurance in Tallahassee, FL? Fuqua Insurance Agency Can Help!
This is just the basics. We at Fuqua Insurance Agency wish the best for those we serve in the greater Tallahassee, FL community, but here’s the minimum of what you need should you be forced to leave your home.